Justice for Victims of 18 Wheeler Accidents in San Antonio
18-wheeler accidents are among the most devastating accidents on the road, often resulting in severe injuries, extensive property damage, and long-term consequences. Victims of these accidents face significant physical, emotional, and financial challenges. In this article, we’ll discuss the causes of 18-wheeler accidents, the unique legal challenges they present, and the importance of hiring a truck accident lawyer to pursue justice and compensation for victims.
Understanding 18 Wheeler Accidents
Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents
18-wheeler accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Driver error or negligence, such as speeding, distracted driving, or driving under the influence
- Mechanical failure, such as brake failure or tire blowouts
- Improper loading or securing of cargo
- Poor road conditions or inclement weather
Common Injuries in 18 Wheeler Accidents
Victims of 18-wheeler accidents often suffer severe injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal injuries
- Burns and lacerations
Unique Legal Challenges in 18 Wheeler Accidents
18-wheeler accidents present unique legal challenges, such as:
- Multiple parties may be liable, including the driver, the trucking company, the manufacturer of the truck or its parts, and the company responsible for loading and securing the cargo.
- Commercial trucking regulations and laws are complex and often vary by state.
- Insurance companies representing the trucking company may have teams of lawyers working to minimize the company’s liability and payout.
The Importance of a Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident lawyer can help victims of 18-wheeler accidents navigate the complex legal landscape and pursue compensation for their injuries, damages, and losses.
Investigating the Accident
An experienced truck accident lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with experts, such as accident reconstructionists and medical professionals.
A truck accident lawyer will identify all parties that may be liable for the accident and determine their level of fault. This may involve analyzing driver logs, maintenance records, and safety reports.
A truck accident lawyer will evaluate the extent of the victim’s injuries and calculate the damages they are entitled to, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
A truck accident lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company representing the trucking company to
secure a fair settlement for the victim. They will work to ensure that the victim receives the compensation they deserve, rather than settling for a low-ball offer.
Litigating the Case
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a truck accident lawyer will be prepared to take the case to trial. They will present evidence, argue on behalf of the victim, and fight to secure a favorable verdict.
18-wheeler accidents can have devastating consequences for victims and their families. Hiring a truck accident lawyer is crucial for ensuring that victims receive justice and compensation for their injuries and losses. By investigating the accident, establishing liability, calculating damages, negotiating with insurance companies, and litigating the case if necessary, a truck accident lawyer can help victims navigate the complex legal process and pursue the best possible outcome.
- What should I do if I’m involved in an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio?
Seek medical attention immediately, and contact the police to report the accident. Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone other than your lawyer.
- How much does it cost to hire a truck accident lawyer?
Most truck accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if they successfully recover compensation for the victim. Their fee is typically a percentage of the settlement or award they secure for the victim.
- How long do I have to file a lawsuit after an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio?
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Texas is two years from the date of the accident. It’s essential to consult with a truck accident lawyer as soon as possible to ensure your case is filed within the required time frame.
- Can I still recover compensation if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Texas follows a modified comparative negligence rule, which means that victims can still recover compensation even if they were partially at fault for the accident. However, their damages will be reduced by their percentage of fault.
- What damages can I recover in an 18-wheeler accident case?
Victims of 18-wheeler accidents may be able to recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and other losses related to the accident. A truck accident lawyer can help victims evaluate the damages they are entitled to and pursue them effectively.